Audit Services - Pig Sector
We work with the Pork industry to develop and refine industry standards of quality, welfare and biosecurity. We work alongside the industry to roll-out the standards and make any required changes to skills, practices, reporting and compliance. We are then able to audit and verify pig farms that are meeting the standard.
We do this by:
- Working with industry stakeholders at all levels, from the pig farms all the way through to the industry standards bodies and marketers.
- Liaising with stakeholders to develop measures of quality, welfare and environmental responsibility to form the basis of an industry agreed standard.
- Developing an electronic auditing platform to streamline the capture, analysis, and reporting of information.
- Developing integrated training and on-farm coaching systems to upskill farmers.
- Developing an integrated dashboard for each pig farmer to enable them to quickly see how they are going and where they need to focus.
- Reporting back to industry stakeholders and regulators.
A programme developed for the industry…by the industry… is accepted and ‘owned’ by farmers. They know that QCONZ is there for the benefit of the farmers and the longer term market access of the products they produce.
Case Study - PigCare
New Zealanders care about how animals are farmed. They want to know that local farmers are experts in looking after their animals – and that animal welfare is central to the way they farm.
This is where we get involved… Each year, every commercial pig farm in New Zealand is audited to make sure it is meeting the standards of care, animal welfare and presentation required to be a PigCare™ farmer. The audit process is managed by Quality Consultants of New Zealand Limited (QCONZ).
The PigCare™ programme allows consumers and stakeholders to see the high level of care and attention professional pig farmers give to their animals.
PigCare™ is a world-class standard focused on the care, knowledge, expertise, experience and commitment of farmers to provide for the welfare of New Zealand’s commercially farmed pigs.